History

Redwood's first brochure

This was to be the worlds longest chair lift

Neewalla 50 Years at Thredbo – Page 34 – Alpine Way Terminal

Construction Details for Redwood

PERISHER VALLEY LODGE/BUILDING NAME:
North Perisher Valley Precinct REDWOOD SKI LODGE
ROAD NAME: Perisher Creek Road CLUB FORMED: 1963
LOT No: 131 LODGE BUILT/OPENED Summer 1964/June 1965
LEASE No: MTR 5239.5706 ARCHITECT/
DESIGNER:
1963 K. McCutcheon Designer
1981 Donald Johnston Architect
1990 Wayne Brighton - Arch. Designer
NPWS BUILDING FILE No: BUILDER 1964 Membership built - Keith McCutcheon Project Manager
1981 Fire upgrading - members - Donald Johnston Project Manager
1990 Bob Taylor, Builder/member and fellow members
NPWS SKI HERITAGE STUDY FILE No 661 CONSTRUCTION 'A" frame construction on a granite base.
NPWS 2008 MAP TITLE: Perisher Valley No. OF LEVELS 3
NPWS MAP LOCATION No, 97 ARCHITECTURAL STYLE "Alpine" Source 5
CURRENT LEASE HOLDER INTACTNESS LEVEL
DATES OF CHANGES
"B" Source 7
1981 Fire upgrading
1990 major additions
ORIGINAL LEASE HOLDER
as above
CULTURAL HERITAGE SIGNIFICANCE LEVEL
SCHEDULE No. Schedule 2 Source 5
FOUNDING PURPOSE / USE: Private ski lodge
FOUNDING PERSONS: Keith McCutcheon,  Warren Wearne and Lyn Shaddock Source2
FOUNDING MEMBERS
CURRENT MEMBERSHIP
NUMBER of BEDS
30
36
12
HISTORY- Building / Membership / Usage
Following his membership and construction of Ben Bullen Commercial Ski lodge in  South Perisher ,Keith McCutcheon
initiated the concept with fellow founders of starting a new private lodge.
The North Perisher site was approved by KSPT in 1964 after formal formation of the 1963 club comprising many
family members and friends at 50 Aust. pounds per membership share .
A majority of the construction was prefabricated at Keith’s home in Kogarah Bay .
Construction commenced April 1964 using imported Redwood and Douglass Fir for the A frames due to their length.
The adoption of the Redwood name was due to the extensive use of Redwood as internal and external lining boards.
As road access was blocked at the end of the 1964 winter season , some materials were floated down Perisher
Creek by John Barter.
Keith McCutcheon  made 64 trips to the lodge during construction in his1961 FB Holden Station Wagon.
The lodge underwent Fire upgrading changes in 1981
Major extensions to the South and East occurred in 1990 designed by member Architectural Designer, Wayne Brighton
executed by member Bob Taylor, Builder.
Source 2
MEMBERS  ACHIEVEMENTS / LOCAL CONTRIBUTIONS
Social / Recreational / Cultural / Administration
The lodge is now in part in it’s 2nd generation of ownership and it’s 3rd generation of usage by grandchildren of
founding members.
Donald Johnston, a founding member , was an undergraduate Architectural employee of Brewster, Murray and
Partners ,Architects between 1958  and 1963  and was involved in the design, documentation and some Contract
Administration of many of the Lodges in the Perisher area .
Those being The  Smiggin Holes Hotel ,Lodge 21 (Smiggins), Boonoona Ski Lodge  and the then Kosciusko State Park
Trustees’ VIP Residence at Waste Point.
Such an association saw him commence skiing aged 17  in 1958 ( driving to the Snowy in his 1957 Fiat 500 Bambino
convertible ), his continuing involvement with the area and now his interest as a  committee member of the PHS .
Source 3
The current quality of the Lodge fabric, the comfortable interiors and facilities have been achieved solely by the
continued efforts of Lodge members over the many decades .
The lodge will celebrate its 50th year of formation in 2013.
The lodge prides itself on never having TV in the lodge
Source 3
Founding member John Barter built his own unique articulated Skidoo which helped with members and Supplies access
in the early years, before RTA/ NPWS regulations. 
Source 3

PERISHER RANGE
RESORT AREAS
HISTORICAL DATA BASE

Copyright 2010 Perisher Historical Society

RESOURCE SHEET N0. RS 97
Abbreviations;
KSPT Kosciusko State Park Trust
( Statutory Authority 1944-1967 )
NPWS National Parks and Wildlife Service 1967 - present
See supplementary sheet No. SRS 97 for photos,etc.
Updated July 2010 by PHS author Donald Johnston, Architect
Original photo date: First winter 1965 Source 2

First winter 1965 Source 2

August 2008    Source 1

Construction photo   1964

Summer - February 2009 

John Barter's home made skidoo 1970’S - Source 9

Source 2

Sources

1 PHS photo file Feb 2009-03-09
2 Club files
3 Personal History files / Oral History
4 NPWS schedule of Leases
5 NPWS Ski Heritage Study 1998
6 NPWS Ski Heritage Database file
7 NPWS Ski Heritage Appendix 2 club contact

Donald Johnston johnston@acenet.com.au
Club ref. doc.
Source 2 “ Memories and Stories “ by  Keith McCutcheon
Source 9 John Barter’s personal  photographic collection
Perisher Range Resort Areas Historical Data Base
Copyright 2010 Perisher Historical Society
Supplementary Resource Sheet No. SRS 97
See Main Resource sheet No.RS97
Updated July 2010 by PHS author Donald Johnston ,Architect